QUOTE(LedenikA @ Jul 25 2011, 14:18)
5930 shame on me ohmy.gif , strange  mellow.gif

The test is strange shutup.gif

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(Леся @ Jul 22 2011, 15:43)
QUOTE(Олина @ Jul 22 2011, 12:41)
I passed once again - 7, 230
Words were a bit different

The method is not 100% accurate rolleyes.gif The authors quote the traditional 95% confidence level to be within ±10.33%. But of course it's possible that an individual result deviates more.

I did it again 8 540
тык

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(Олина @ Jul 25 2011, 13:50)
QUOTE(Леся @ Jul 22 2011, 15:43)

The method is not 100% accurate  rolleyes.gif  The authors quote the traditional 95% confidence level to be within ±10.33%. But of course it's possible that an individual result deviates more.

I did it again 8 540
тык

Well, if one assumes that the first result was a bit lower due to lack of attention and concentration and then takes the average of the 2nd and 3rd one gets 7885 ± 815. So those two results are well within the specified range flowers1.gif

QUOTE(Cat in the moonight @ Jul 25 2011, 14:02)
3,530  dry.gif

Well, if go to http://testyourvocab.com/faq.php one can find there:
However, based on our own limited initial testing, we can give you a vague idea of foreign language acquisition for Brazilians enrolled in private English courses (generally meeting for around 3 hours a week):
1,500–3,000 words: a couple of years of English courses
4,000–6,000 words: intermediate English (4–6 years)
8,000–10,000 words: advanced English (8 years) for a particularly good student

Anything much beyond 10,000 words generally only comes from living abroad in an English-speaking country for a significant period of time, or else spending tremendous amounts of one's own time exposed to English media (books, sitcoms, movies, etc.).
But if you think that the result is not correct you could try to redo the test, this time being more precise in your answers! shuffle.gif

QUOTE(Dean20 @ Jul 25 2011, 13:42)

The idea behind the calculation is described here: http://testyourvocab.com/details.php. And it's a bit longish biggrin2.gif biggrin2.gif I would single out this paragraph:
QUOTE(How does it work?)
So what we do is to test vocabulary in two steps. In the first, we pick around 40 words, stretching from the easiest to hardest words in English. This gives us a general idea of your vocabulary level. We then present a second narrower set of words, sorted by frequency, in a range where we think you'll know all the initial ones, none of the final ones, but have a wide mix of both in the middle. By testing you in this narrower range, we can come up with a quite accurate vocabulary estimate for people of any level.

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(Dean20 @ Jul 25 2011, 14:42)

totally agree with you, I'm not native but my TOEFL is 107 (passed in June) and i don't think that the result is correct, but still it's a sigh to work on my English harder*)

p.s. even being native russian speaker I've some doubts that I would recognize and give at least one definition of the most rarely used russian words or of the hardest one *) biggrin2.gif

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(Леся)
1,500–3,000 words: a couple of years of English courses

Печаль печальная

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(Леся @ Jul 25 2011, 13:27)
QUOTE(Kuzik @ Jul 24 2011, 21:49)
loads of french words and science vocabulary helped to bring my score up to 15'200 fegh.gif

Wow! All that just with French? thumbsup.gif Though Michel Thomas says that over 60% of English vocabulary comes from French. For me it worked vice versa - knowing some English I was able to reach some level at French quite fast angel_innocent.gif
Now trying to work the other 40% out for German brows.gif

Btw, wikipedia has a different with Michel Thomas opinion (link):
user posted image

yeah, the chart looks fine to me. There are a lot of french words in english, though... there are false similarities as well (example: bless you - господь с тобой angel_innocent.gif , blesse-moi - порань меня =.gif )

Поделиться сообщением

11 100
Shame on my white head sleep.gif
That's what happens when French comes into action. Hope I will have more pupils to keep my brains in a good form wacko.gif

Поделиться сообщением

nata63, hi.gif
French should help in the contrary rolleyes.gif

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(Kuzik @ Jul 26 2011, 01:57)
nata63,  hi.gif
French should help in the contrary  rolleyes.gif

It bothers. When I need to explain something in English I begin to speak French.

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(nata63 @ Jul 26 2011, 10:32)
nata63,  hi.gif

It bothers. When I need to explain something in English I begin to speak French.

you know I have such a problem too, especially when I had my english and french in a row, pronunciation became worse and sounded like ''frenchy'' sometimes *) moreover once i put an adjective just right after the noun, after that case I divided my lessons *)) biggrin2.gif

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(LedenikA @ Jul 26 2011, 10:48)
you know I have such a problem too, especially when I had my english and french in a row, pronunciation became worse and sounded like ''frenchy'' sometimes *) moreover once i put an adjective just right after the noun, after that case I divided my lessons *)) biggrin2.gif

Problem is that I teach both languages (well, Russian as well) in a French-speaking country fegh.gif That's why it bothers

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(nata63 @ Jul 26 2011, 14:17)

Problem is that I teach both languages (well, Russian as well) in a French-speaking country fegh.gif That's why it bothers

hmmm, sorry, my mistake *))) blush2.gif flowers1.gif

Поделиться сообщением

6360. Very strange, i thought it would be less.

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(Dead-by-Chocolade @ Jul 21 2011, 00:23)
Yeppee! 22300! Great!

Just noticed! Wow! user posted image

How have you managed to get the hang of so many? blush2.gif

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(nata63 @ Jul 26 2011, 11:32)
nata63,  hi.gif

yeah, same here cry.gif
I was saying "should help" for that test only blush2.gif

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(nata63 @ Jul 26 2011, 15:17)

hahah, and I am thinking about teaching French in the English-speaking country, that's gonna be tough I guess shutup.gif

Поделиться сообщением

Создайте аккаунт или войдите для комментирования

Вы должны быть пользователем, чтобы оставить комментарий

Создать аккаунт

Зарегистрируйтесь для получения аккаунта. Это просто!

Зарегистрировать аккаунт

Войти

Уже зарегистрированы? Войдите здесь.

Войти сейчас

• Сейчас на странице   0 пользователей

Нет пользователей, просматривающих эту страницу