Леся

Test your active vocabulary!

229 сообщений в этой теме

I scored 9970 words whereas the median quoted is 27123 whistling.gif But those results are based on native speakers only fegh.gif Then several friends of mine passed the test and received results 5750, 25200 (not Russian biggrin2.gif ), 5940, 8210 and 9370.

So let's test ourselves and create our own database! thumbsup.gif

And more convenient link than the one in the title: http://testyourvocab.com/

Update on the website stats is described here.

Update 2: some explanation in Russian about the usability of different vocabulary sizes: http://habrahabr.ru/blogs/gtd/126189/ 2.gif

Поделиться сообщением

Passed the test for the second time checking the words which I wasn't sure about but upon looking them up was right: 14000 biggrin2.gif

Поделиться сообщением

Позорище у меня, а не vocabulary. biggrin2.gif 3320. Вот что значит почти нет практики.

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(Muse @ Jul 20 2011, 17:30)
Позорище у меня, а не vocabulary.  biggrin2.gif 3320. Вот что значит почти нет практики.

Well, this just means that you are in the dynamic period of acquiring new knowledge! thumbsup.gif And as I mentioned the statistics on site is shown only for the Americans.
Actually a friend of mine wrote a letter to the website support asking about the non-native speakers stats. The answer came surprisingly fast. happy.gif Here what they say:
Hi *****,

Thanks for the suggestion -- in a few days, we'll try to produce some comparison statistics for foreign learners.
It's actually a bit complicated, because foreign learners are much more varied  in their skills than native speakers, and depend on many more factors. So figuring out how to present it all is a bit of a challenge...
Hopefully we'll be able to put up a blog post this weekend -- the sudden recent popularity of the site has caught us by surprise!

Thanks
Michael

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(Леся @ Jul 20 2011, 19:37)
Well, this just means that you are in the dynamic period of acquiring new knowledge!  thumbsup.gif And as I mentioned the statistics on site is shown only for the Americans.
Actually a friend of mine wrote a letter to the website support asking about the non-native speakers stats. The answer came surprisingly fast.  happy.gif Here what they say:
Hi *****,

Thanks for the suggestion -- in a few days, we'll try to produce some comparison statistics for foreign learners.
It's actually a bit complicated, because foreign learners are much more varied  in their skills than native speakers, and depend on many more factors. So figuring out how to present it all is a bit of a challenge...
Hopefully we'll be able to put up a blog post this weekend -- the sudden recent popularity of the site has caught us by surprise!

Thanks
Michael

Oh, thank you! I think... if I understood you message without dictionary not all is lost. flowers1.gif

Поделиться сообщением

Yeppee! 22300! Great!
1 пользователю понравилось это

Поделиться сообщением

shame on me shutup.gif 4,260 words

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(bBrise @ Jul 21 2011, 11:48)
shame on me  shutup.gif 4,260 words

5, 700
But I do not think the test is valid. The task is just to tick
Someone who doesnt see the difference between "ankle" and "unckle", "slip" and "sleep" etc can tick a lot biggrin2.gif

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(Олина @ Jul 21 2011, 12:41)
QUOTE(bBrise @ Jul 21 2011, 11:48)
shame on me  shutup.gif 4,260 words

5, 700
But I do not think the test is valid. The task is just to tick
Someone who doesnt see the difference between "ankle" and "unckle", "slip" and "sleep" etc can tick a lot biggrin2.gif

Hope you didn't tick the "unckle" bigwink.gif

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(Huanita @ Jul 21 2011, 20:14)
Is it American? Some words look like slang for me  biggrin2.gif

No, it's not American biggrin2.gif They say they used British dictionary:
QUOTE(http://testyourvocab.com/details.php)
1: Corpus. Find a suitably large corpus of spoken and written text. We used the British National Corpus (BNC) because of its large size and large spoken component.

2: Dictionary. Find a nice, authoritative dictionary. We used a British one, to match the mainly British spellings in the BNC. (None of our final test words are specifically British, however.)

The only tuning they've done is exclusion of false friends with Portuguese, since it's an American-Brazilian research project and the authors wanted to avoid the situation when Brazilian people think they know a word but indeed they are totally wrong about it happy.gif

Поделиться сообщением

10,100 words

I've just looked up all (*unknown biggrin2.gif ) words in the dictionary... wacko.gif biggrin2.gif (I did not check boxes for them.. biggrin2.gif ) OMG some words can be known by natives/residents only. unsure.gif biggrin.gif

I'm satisfied with my result though there's definitely a room for improvement. bb.gif

Поделиться сообщением

Not bad, but could be better...

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(Умница-разумница @ Jul 22 2011, 00:27)
10,100 words
I've just looked up all the words in the dictionary... wacko.gif  biggrin2.gif

rofl.gif

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:
3,900 words biggrin2.gif

Поделиться сообщением

I passed once again - 7, 230
Words were a bit different

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(Олина @ Jul 22 2011, 12:41)
I passed once again - 7, 230
Words were a bit different

The method is not 100% accurate rolleyes.gif The authors quote the traditional 95% confidence level to be within ±10.33%. But of course it's possible that an individual result deviates more.

Поделиться сообщением

loads of french words and science vocabulary helped to bring my score up to 15'200 fegh.gif

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(Kuzik @ Jul 24 2011, 21:49)
loads of french words and science vocabulary helped to bring my score up to 15'200 fegh.gif

Wow! All that just with French? thumbsup.gif Though Michel Thomas says that over 60% of English vocabulary comes from French. For me it worked vice versa - knowing some English I was able to reach some level at French quite fast angel_innocent.gif
Now trying to work the other 40% out for German brows.gif

Btw, wikipedia has a different with Michel Thomas opinion (link):
user posted image

Поделиться сообщением

Создайте аккаунт или войдите для комментирования

Вы должны быть пользователем, чтобы оставить комментарий

Создать аккаунт

Зарегистрируйтесь для получения аккаунта. Это просто!

Зарегистрировать аккаунт

Войти

Уже зарегистрированы? Войдите здесь.

Войти сейчас

• Сейчас на странице   0 пользователей

Нет пользователей, просматривающих эту страницу