Леся

TED : Ideas Worth Spreading

20 сообщений в этой теме

Since quite some time I follow the new videos and talks appearing at their website: http://www.ted.com/. Wiki quote: TED (Technology Entertainment and Design) is a global set of conferences owned by the private non-profit Sapling Foundation, formed to disseminate "ideas worth spreading."

And in simple words it's just a collection of videos featuring the reeeaaally (and I mean it tongue.gif ) good speakers who are renowned figures in their field and are able to communicate the fascination of their expertise to basically anyone thumbsup.gif So that you and I can just learn a piece of technology or design or business or science in 5-20 minutes cool.gif

And I think that it is a near perfect way to let your English grow and to acquire broad spectrum vocabulary. They even have built-in subtitles in ~20-40 languages! (though usually not Russian no.gif but English should do, right? bigwink.gif )

Probably the best one to start with is the video with some humor and advice for every day life: How to tie your shows. You could be surprised that one can present something useful even on such mundane activity brows.gif So the link is http://www.ted.com/talks/terry_moore_how_t...your_shoes.html. Hope you'll enjoy! flowers1.gif

user posted image

Also, just in case you like it ( brows.gif ) one of the easiest ways to follow the updates is to subscribe to http://twitter.com/#!/tedtalks user posted image

Поделиться сообщением

Леся, nice video thumbsup.gif thanks for sharing!

*left to explore the site* yes.gif

Поделиться сообщением

Mrs. Kilic, glad you liked it biggrin.gif Actually I started the thread because it could be very interesting to discuss some videos with people who have reference to Russian culture angel_innocent.gif And it would have been hard to motivate readers in general section to watch those videos biggrin2.gif
(realized that after the discussion here)

Поделиться сообщением

there was a video that I really liked

click

so I decided to start with watching one video from that website per day for the next 30 days bb.gif

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(Mrs. Kilic @ Jul 21 2011, 05:24)
there was a video that I really liked

click

so I decided to start with watching one video from that website per day for the next 30 days  bb.gif

Mrs. Kilic, totally agree with you! It's a very motivating speech thumbsup.gif But I'm still thinking how I should apply it brows.gif Laziness is my second name blush2.gif

Btw, another powerful talk which forces you to appreciate your everyday life more is the one given by a passenger of the US Airways Flight 1549. It is the plane from the "Miracle On The Hudson", the one which successfully landed on the Hudson river in 2009.
user posted image

The title of the talk is 3 things I learned while my plane crashed.

Поделиться сообщением

Mrs. Kilic, anything interesting? 2.gif bounce.gif

Here, I sorted the talks by the number of views and just have watched a video which I would call the one of imminent interest: Dan Pink on the surprising science of motivation. This guy, Dan Pink (an American, whatever biggrin2.gif ) talks about motivation/creativity interaction in a bit overly enthusiastic but at the same time persuasive manner!
Career analyst Dan Pink examines the puzzle of motivation, starting with a fact that social scientists know but most managers don't: Traditional rewards aren't always as effective as we think. Listen for illuminating stories -- and maybe, a way forward.

His revealings comply with intuition at some level but contradict the orthodox incentive methods used up to now; I would say, they bring us closer to the paradigm shift in the art of management whip.gif whip.gif whip.gif In other words all the top-management should be deprived of their huge non-human bonuses bleh.gif (I should not say more - it would be spoiling the intrigue of the talk - one of the most viewed there!)

Поделиться сообщением

thanks for sharing the link). really nice to watch smth both useful and interesting.
i ve just watched "Cynthia Schneider: The surprising spread of "Idol" TV".
it is about entertaining tv-shows kind of american idol in countries like saudi or afghanistan... actually i watched similar singing competitions on either egyptian or jordanian channels but was surprised to see they exist in the mentioned above countries because afghanistan does ban every form of pleasure activity. and here i see a woman (ofc totally covered) singing! unbelievable).

Поделиться сообщением

sea_shell, haven't seen this video yet, but thank you a lot for the recommendation! flowers1.gif Will have a look later in the evening yes.gif

Поделиться сообщением

Леся, by your advance i decided to start exploring the website with the video you recommended about shoes and laces. Really funny video about such "complicated" stuff and the guy was so serious and dedicated. lol.gif
Btw, have you watched anything interesting of famous people like Bill Clinton, Al Gore and so on?

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(sea_shell @ Jul 29 2011, 18:52)
Леся, by your advance i decided to start exploring the website with the video you recommended about shoes and laces. Really funny video about such "complicated" stuff and the guy was so serious and dedicated.  lol.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif I even tried to use his method on my new shoes with really stupid laces - seems to work! blink.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Btw, have you watched anything interesting of famous people like Bill Clinton, Al Gore and so on?

No, I haven't no.gif Frankly speaking I haven't watched that many videos there though I learned about this project more than half a year ago. The strategy I adopted with it is to follow all the new talks and watch them if the description tempts me as well as sometimes to listen to a friend's recommendation/check the most popular talks 2.gif No rush, just enjoyment 09.gif

Ah, speaking of which, the "Idol" TV talk was very insightful! Thank you! flowers1.gif It's nice to have once in a while some positive information about islamic countries rather than all the stereotypic rubbish poured out from the media.

Поделиться сообщением

And since we are talking funny videos I cannot but link here the one of my favorites (though it's not from TED series but about technology; and it's quite old, so probably everybody has seen it biggrin2.gif ): Everything's Amazing & Nobody's Happy

[youtube]8r1CZTLk-Gk[/youtube]

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(Леся @ Jul 29 2011, 09:58)
Леся, by your advance i decided to start exploring the website with the video you recommended about shoes and laces. Really funny video about such "complicated" stuff and the guy was so serious and dedicated.  lol.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif I even tried to use his method on my new shoes with really stupid laces - seems to work! blink.gif lol.gif lol.gif

i think the guy made perfect sense cool.gif I even shared the video with my husband biggrin2.gif

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(Леся @ Aug 9 2011, 22:19)
Here's another short  tongue.gif  and "jaw-dropping footage" of underwater life miracles!  user posted image

Ahhh, it is the fantastic world full of secrets... However this video made me feel unsafe to start diving course.. unsure.gif

I haven't find any good video yet.. watched a few discussions regarding love, orgasm biggrin2.gif cheating.. Can't say they were pretty interesting. no.gif

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(sea_shell @ Aug 11 2011, 09:31)
Ahhh, it is the fantastic world full of secrets... However this video made me feel unsafe to start diving course..  unsure.gif

Come on, they are no competition to a human being bleh.gif bigwink.gif
QUOTE(sea_shell @ Aug 11 2011, 09:31)
I haven't find any good video yet.. watched a few discussions regarding love, orgasm  biggrin2.gif cheating.. Can't say they were pretty interesting.  no.gif

You have a point that not every talk there is that fascinating yes.gif But I have already seen quite a few that I liked and even favorited there!

The last one I liked is the presentation called Paul Bloom: The origins of pleasure cool.gif Recalled it after hearing a Writer's monologue in Tarkovsky's Stalker where he discourses upon the sudden change of value of an antique pot in a museum when some new information about it suddenly surfaces (this moment in the movie) biggrin2.gif

Anyway, I find this one very useful for understanding how one comes to value pieces of art or just some small personal things which bear history in itself shuffle.gif

Поделиться сообщением

New twitter account which presents some ex-Talk out of 9000+ available now every day: https://twitter.com/#!/TEDxTalks.

And one of the latest talks which appeared to be extremely interesting: Svante Pääbo: DNA clues to our inner neanderthal. The guy is telling about genetic variations of humans through all continents and discusses quite recent result about human-neandertal interbreeding.

Sharing the results of a massive, worldwide study, geneticist Svante Pääbo shows the DNA proof that early humans mated with Neanderthals after we moved out of Africa. (Yes, many of us have Neanderthal DNA.) He also shows how a tiny bone from a baby finger was enough to identify a whole new humanoid species.

Поделиться сообщением

QUOTE(Vasilisa 9813 @ Nov 16 2014, 03:53)
looks like this thread has been abandoned...

I am sure many people watch these videos, they just do not comment on them here. I am personally a big fan of these TED talks videos. We have gone over quite a few of them in college. The last one I really enjoyed was on confidence and how it is a tool of believing in yourself and that you can accomplish the goals no matter what it takes. I thought it was rather empowering and inspiring. I strongly recommend you watch it . Here is the link

Поделиться сообщением

Создайте аккаунт или войдите для комментирования

Вы должны быть пользователем, чтобы оставить комментарий

Создать аккаунт

Зарегистрируйтесь для получения аккаунта. Это просто!

Зарегистрировать аккаунт

Войти

Уже зарегистрированы? Войдите здесь.

Войти сейчас

• Сейчас на странице   0 пользователей

Нет пользователей, просматривающих эту страницу